A payment arrangement allows City of Austin utility customers the opportunity to pay off a past-due bill balance to keep their utility accounts in good standing.
- With a payment arrangement, the past-due amount is spread out over a specified period of time — this amount is called a monthly installment.
- Customers are required to pay the agreed-upon monthly installment, in addition to paying their monthly utility charges in full, by the bill due date each month.
- Paying both the monthly installment and current utility charges gives customers extra time to bring their utility accounts up to date.
Flexible Arrangement Available
The length of a payment arrangement is based on the balance owed and your payment arrangement history. There is no limit to the number of arrangements, as long as the prior payment arrangement terms have been met.
A payment arrangement option is available to any eligible customer — regardless of payment history. However, if a customer failed to complete a prior payment arrangement or has returned payment items, such as returned checks, the customer's account must be brought current before a new payment arrangement can be offered.
A customer is considered ineligible if involved in meter tampering or if the customer's service is currently disconnected or is scheduled for disconnection due to non-payment.
Set Up a Payment Arrangement
Call Customer Care at 512-494-9400 or email us. A customer service representative will review your account and determine if you are eligible, the terms, and the monthly installment amount.
The best way to ensure eligibility for a payment arrangement is to pay your current bill amount and your payment arrangement installment in full each month, or to bring the account current if your payment arrangement defaults.
You may not qualify for a payment arrangement if:
- We've disconnected you for non-payment.
- You have tampered with any utility meter at your residence.
- You are enrolled in Budget Billing.
- We are already in the process of sending your account to a debt collector.
- You have stopped services.
- You have filed for, or are in the process of filing for, bankruptcy.
- A court has determined that your debt to us is legally extinguishable.
- Your bill is not current, and you've already been through our payment arrangement process.
- Your payment provider returned payments you made on your account.
Call Customer Care at 512-494-9400 or email us to see if you qualify.
- Get answers to frequently asked questions about Payment Arrangements
- Check eligibility requirements for Customer Assistance Programs