A payment arrangement allows City of Austin utility customers the opportunity to pay off a past-due bill balance to keep their utility accounts in good standing.
- With a payment arrangement, the past-due amount is spread out over a specified period of time — this amount is called a monthly installment.
- Customers are required to pay the agreed-upon monthly installment, in addition to paying their monthly utility charges in full, by the bill due date each month.
- Paying both the monthly installment and current utility charges gives customers extra time to bring their utility accounts up to date.
Flexible Arrangement Available
The length of a payment arrangement is based on the balance owed and your payment arrangement history. There is no limit to the number of arrangements, as long as the prior payment arrangement terms have been met.
A payment arrangement option is available to any eligible customer — regardless of payment history. However, if a customer has returned payment items, such as returned checks, the customer's account must be brought current before a new payment arrangement can be offered.
The best way to ensure eligibility for a payment arrangement is to pay your current bill amount and your payment arrangement installment in full each month, or to bring the account current if your payment arrangement defaults.
You may not qualify for a payment extension if:
- Your utility account is enrolled in Budget Billing.
- You have requested to stop your utility services.
- Your utility account has had a previous payment extension or arrangement that was unmet.
- Your utility account has had returned payments or has been disconnected for non-payment.
- Your utility account has been sent to an outside debt collector.
- Your utility account is under a bankruptcy filing, or if a court has determined that the utility debt is legally extinguishable.
- The utility meter at your residence or property has been tampered with.
How to Request a Payment Arrangement
You have two options for requesting a payment arrangement:
- Call Customer Care at 512-494-9400 or email us to see if you qualify. A customer service representative will review your account and determine your eligibility, the terms and options available to you, and the monthly installment amount.
- Or you may log in to COA Utilities to request a 12-month payment arrangement online. Other payment terms and options may be available to customers who contact Customer Care by phone or email.
Payment Extensions Also Available
A payment extension allows City of Austin utility customers the opportunity to extend a bill's due date, for a short period of time, to keep their utility account in good standing. With a payment extension, the total amount due on the bill is due by the extension due date.
There is no limit to the number of payment extensions allowed, as long as customers have met the terms of their prior extension.
- Get answers to frequently asked questions about Payment Arrangements
- Check eligibility requirements for Customer Assistance Programs