City of Austin Utility Bill Relief
The City of Austin approved emergency bill relief measures for utility customers who are experiencing financial hardship as a result of Winter Storm Uri or COVID-19. These measures include utility bill credits and temporary rate and fee reductions.
To responsibly serve customers and the community, City of Austin Utilities will resume standard collections operations, including utility disconnections for non-payment, in July 2021.
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, we want to help. Please contact us at 512-494-9400 to discuss your options and avoid interruption of service.
City of Austin Utilities will extend the following measures as long as funds remain:
- All customers in need will be placed on payment arrangements.
- Customer Assistance Program (CAP) Utility Bill Discounts on electric charges are increased from 10% to 15%. Customers with household incomes at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level may receive the CAP discount.
- The Financial Support Plus 1 fund has received additional funding. Customers who experience financial hardship due to the effects of COVID-19 are eligible for the Plus 1 Program.
Customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bill should contact City of Austin Utilities at 512-494-9400 as soon as possible.
The City of Austin offers programs to help residential customers who face temporary and long-term financial difficulties as well as who have serious medical problems.
There are eligibility requirements for each program.
- CAP Utility Bill Discounts — If you or someone in your household participates in certain state, federal, or local assistance programs, you may be able to receive discounts on your utility bill.
- Financial Support Plus 1 — The Plus 1 fund provides emergency financial help if you are having temporary difficulty paying utility bills. Customers may also contribute to this fund via their monthly utility bills.
- Services for the Medically Vulnerable — If someone in your household has a long-term disease or critical illness, you may be eligible for the City’s registry of medically vulnerable customers and receive special support services.
- Weatherization Assistance — In addition to these City of Austin programs, Austin Energy offers no-cost home energy improvements to qualifying customers with low-to-moderate incomes. The improvements reduce energy costs, address health and safety issues, and enhance comfort.