To responsibly serve customers and the community, City of Austin Utilities has resumed standard collections operations, including utility disconnections for non-payment.
If you are experiencing a financial hardship due to COVID-19, help is still available in the form of payment arrangements, Customer Assistance Program (CAP) Utility Bill Discounts. and the Financial Support Plus 1 fund.
Customers who are having difficulty paying their utility bill should contact City of Austin Utilities at 512-494-9400 as soon as possible discuss your options and avoid interruption of service.
Residential customers on low or fixed incomes who participate in certain state, federal, or local assistance programs can benefit from the City of Austin's Customer Assistance Programs (CAP) utility discounts. CAP Utility Bill Discounts can help reduce utility bills an average of $650 a year.
You may qualify for the following waivers and discounts:
- Electric Service Customer Charge waiver
- Discount on your total electrical usage
- Discount on your Community Benefit Charges
- Water Service Customer Charge waiver
- Water Tiered Fixed Charge waiver
- Water Volume Charge discount
- Wastewater Service Customer Charge waiver
- Wastewater Volume Charge Discount
- Drainage Fee 50% discount
You may be eligible if you or someone in your household participates in one of these programs:
- Medicaid Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- Telephone Lifeline Program
- Travis County Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP)
- Medical Access Program (MAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH)
You may also be eligible for the program if your household income is less than 200% of the Federal Poverty Level:
|2021 Federal Poverty Guidelines|
|Persons in Household||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Total Annual Income||$25,760||$34,840||$43,920||$53,000||$62,080||$71,160||$80,240||$89,320|
If you are qualifying using your total household income, you must provide proof of household income with this application:
- Copy of most recent pay stub(s) from all employers covering the last two months for all members of the household
- Your most recently filed tax return (must be signed) or W-2 form
- A signed letter from each employer indicating the level of your wage
- Documentation of social security income
- Copy of an unemployment form with eligibility dates
- Copies of the two most recent unemployment checks
- Copy of the most recent bank statement showing direct deposit of income (for SSI, Social Security, annuity, pension)
Please call 855-319-6630 with any questions you may have about eligibility.
How to Apply
Print the application:
- Customer Assistance Discount Program and Income Application (pdf)
- Solicitud para el Programa de Descuentos de Asistencia al Cliente y de ingresos (pdf)
Complete the application, include documentation of participation in one of the above programs, and send to:
City of Austin Utilities - Customer Care Contact Center - Customer Assistance Programs
PO Box 848
Killeen, Texas 76540-9915
You may also fax the form to 855-319-6629 or call 855-319-6630 to request a form by mail.
- Get answers to frequently asked questions about Utility Bill Discounts
- See if you qualify for emergency Plus 1 financial assistance
- Register for services for the medically vulnerable