The City of Austin has a process for customers to dispute their utility bill if they have a concern.
Request an Administrative Review
The first step in disputing a bill is to request an administrative review from City of Austin Utilities Customer Care.
This process starts after the customer calls 512-494-9400 or visits one of the City of Austin's Utility Customer Service Centers at:
- 8716 Research Blvd., Ste. 115
- 2800 Webberville Road, Ste. 110
- 1901 W. William Cannon Dr. Ste. 100
Request must be made within 90 days.
Request an Administrative Hearing
If the problem is not resolved through an administrative review, the next step is for the customer to request an administrative hearing.
A hearing request:
- Must be in writing and include the nature of the dispute as well as the total dollar amount being contested — if applicable.
- Must be made within 30 days of the Administrative Review.
Mail administrative hearing requests to:
City of Austin – Utility Hearing Request
4815 Mueller Blvd.
Austin, TX 78723-3573
Or by email to City of Austin Utilities Bill Disputes.
What to Expect
The customer can appear in person, be represented by an attorney, or both. An administrative hearing normally happens on a mutually-agreed day with an impartial hearings officer.
Some conditions will not be considered for an administrative hearing. These include:
- The terms or denial of a deferred payment arrangement.
- A customer's financial inability to pay for rendered services.
- The rate schedule.
- Unexplained high utility consumption if the meter is accurate.
- Denial of services due to public health and safety concerns.
- A matter subject to a court decision.
- A decision made by the City about a claim for property damage or personal injury.
For additional information on these procedures, download the Customer Rights and the Confidentiality Request form / Derechos del Cliente: Confidencialidad de la Información Personal (pdf).
More information on utility service regulations and payment standards can be found in City of Austin Code, Section 15-9-75.
- Get details on customer confidentiality and rights
- View eligibility requirements for our Customer Assistance Programs
- Get tips to help manage high home energy bills