Want to Go Green? Choose an Alternate Energy Source
Austin Energy customers have the option to choose between powering their homes or businesses with either traditional or renewable sources of electric energy.
GreenChoice® 100% Texas Wind Energy
Available for Residential and Commercial customers
GreenChoice is the nation’s most successful utility-sponsored and voluntary green-pricing energy program.
- Texas ranks first in the nation for wind energy capacity, and second in the nation for employment in the renewable energy industry.
- More than 20,000 customers currently are making a difference in Austin and beyond.
Available for Residential customers as capacity allows; waitlists are available
Austin Energy develops or procures solar projects within the Austin community to meet 100% of subscribers’ electricity needs.
- Residential customers who want to promote local, clean energy can opt-in to the waiting list and subscribe when capacity becomes available.
- Ideal for renters, homeowners with shaded roofs, or anyone who doesn't want to install and maintain a rooftop solar system.
Other Ways to Go Green
Install Solar Photovoltaics (PV) on Your Home or Business
Are you ready to power up with sunshine and savings? Austinites are embracing solar as a clean, green, alternative source of power.
When you use clean, renewable solar power for your home or business you help reduce Austin's carbon footprint and help protect the environment. You also contribute to the expansion of green jobs in the Austin area.
As a residential customer, you can:
- Earn solar credits that apply to your electric bill.
- Increase the property value of your home.
As a commercial customer, you can:
- Reduce your demand charges.
- Earn Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification points.
Drive or Ride Electric Vehicles (EVs) or Install EV Charging Stations at Your Home or Business
The electric vehicle EVolution is here! Electric vehicles are fun to ride and drive and can save you money while helping the environment.
- Plug-in electric vehicles are the only vehicles on the road that will continue to be a cleaner source of transportation as the grid shifts to increased renewable energy sources.
- The Plug-In EVerywhere network of public charging stations is powered by 100% renewable Texas wind energy through Austin Energy's GreenChoice® program.
EVs and EV charging stations are everywhere: homes, businesses, multifamily properties, and schools.
Consider Austin Energy Green Building Rated Homes or Businesses
Austin Energy Green Building (AEGB) collaborates directly with building industry professionals who are working hard to shape our city.
We are passionate about partnering to create a more environmentally friendly, sustainable, and healthy Austin. We help build places to live, work, and play that contribute positively to the city’s environmental and sustainability goals.
When you choose an Austin Energy Green Building (AEGB) rated building, it assures the materials, mechanical systems, and methods used during construction promote a healthy, comfortable, efficient, and durable environment.
- Get information for design and building professionals
- Learn how to buy, remodel, or rent an Austin Energy Green Building (AEGB) rated building
- Sign up for monthly AEGB seminars